This is a quick, easy, and nutrient-rich take on meatball soup! You get your protein, healthy fats, and a rainbow of vegetables, all in one pot. Feel free to switch up the spices and what kinds of veggies you use. You could also use chicken sausage or lamb sausage instead of pork.
Sausage & Veggie Soup
- 1 lb organic pork Italian sausage links, chopped into dime-sized pieces (I bought mine at Whole Foods)
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 64 fl oz. bone broth or veggie broth
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 large sweet potatoes (I like white skinned and purple skinned), peeled and chopped
- .5 head broccoli, chopped
- .5 head cauliflower, chopped
- 2 medium zucchini or yellow squash, chopped
- 1 bunch kale, chopped
1. Heat a large soup pot or dutch oven to medium-high heat. Add the Italian sausage pieces and don't touch them until they're brown on one side (2 to 3 minutes). Flip and brown the other side.
2. Remove the cooked sausage from the pot and put it into a bowl for later. Make sure you leave the fat from the sausages in the pot; this will be your cooking fat.
3. Add the onion, carrots, oregano, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Stir well and let sweat, about two minutes.
4. Add the rest of the vegetables and the spices. Stir well, and then add the broth.
5. Bring the soup to a boil. Stir again, then put the lid on and reduce the heat to medium. If you like your vegetables a little crunchy, cook for a half an hour. If, like me, you like your vegetables soft, cook for an hour. Make sure to stir it every so often.
6. Right before you serve, add the sausage pieces back in. Add more salt and pepper and maybe a spritz of lemon if desired, and enjoy!